Data & Information: Data analysis and visualization, MySQL, Microsoft Excel and Access, Quantum GIS (QGIS), Leaflet, Mapbox. Familiar and learning: R, PHP, Python
Software: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Audition, Final Cut Pro X, Final Cut Express, Microsoft Excel
Multimedia Artist - Orlando Sentinel, Orlando, FL
June 2013 - Present
- Acquire and develop datasets using public records, identify trends and potential stories from data, develop online databases and create interactive and static graphics from information learned.
- Co-lead the organization's monthly planning meeting, ensuring that digital resources are efficiently and effectively used for long-term and enterprise projects.
- Evangelize for data use in the newsroom and teach reporters and editors to use new digital tools to help in their daily reporting work.
Teaching Assistant - Missouri School of Journalism, Columbia, Mo.
January 2012 - May 2013
Multimedia Editor— Vox Magazine, Columbia, Mo.
August - December 2012
- Coordinated all multimedia operations of the magazine's website.
- Produced videos, interactive graphics and assisted students in production of multimedia elements.
Online News Producer (Dow Jones News Fund Intern)— The Denver Post
June - August 2012
- Shared stories using social media, reaching more than 250,000 followers.
- Created interactive graphics for and contributed to coverage of Colorado wildfires and the Aurora Theater shooting.
- Updated breaking news on the DenverPost.com homepage.
- Led the design of the newspaper's online presidential debate coverage landing page.
Multimedia Coordinator— Columbia Missourian
August 2011 - December 2011
- Worked with teams of students as they plan, shoot and edit multimedia stories for the website.
- Coached students on story idea creation, equipment use and editing using Final Cut Express.
Editor-in-Chief— The George-AnneAlong with the new student media director at Georgia Southern, I led a major reorganization of the newsroom. This included the addition of a candidate training program.
August 2009 - May 2010; December 2010 - May 2011
Web Editor-in-Chief— The George-Anne
August 2010 - December 2010
- Expanded the web staff from a single editor-in-chief to also include a managing editor for the website as well as two multimedia reporters. This was the first arrangement of its kind in the history of the newspaper's organization.
Reporting Intern— Statesboro (Ga.) Herald
May 2010 - July 2010
Reporting Intern— Cordele (Ga.) Dispatch
May 2008 - July 2008
- Wrote news and features stories for the daily newspaper. I covered breaking news as well as events that were planned. On average, I wrote two stories per day.
- Selected photos for stories, edited them for size, style and color using Adobe Photoshop.
2013 Pulitzer Prize for Breaking News (Awarded to The Denver Post Staff)
M.A. Journalism -Missouri School of Journalism, Columbia, Mo.
August 2011 - May 2013
B.S. Political Science - Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, Ga.
August 2007 - May 2011
- University Honors Program scholar, Magna Cum Laude (GPA:3.81)
Reporter— PBS Newshour's InaugBlog
January 18 - 22, 2013
- I was one of 15 student selected by PBS Newshour to produce multimedia content around President Barack Obama's second inauguration.
- Took photos and video for stories around the Washington, DC metro area. Also used social media to update followers on Inauguration Day.
Reporter/Participant— DJNF Digital Workshop, Western Kentucky Univ., Bowling Green, Ky.
June 3 - 10, 2012
- I worked with a team to develop a story idea, produce multimedia content and build a WordPress based website on a topic in Bowling Green, Kentucky. This training preceded my internship in Denver.
Member of Board of Directors, Missourian Publishing Association
Member, Online News Association